1. Cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs, mixed spice, orange juice, lemon rind & juice.
3. Mix in the flour.
4. Stir in the mixed dried fruits, glacé cherries, mixed peel and almonds.
5. Push the mixture into a deep greaseproof lined 20cm/8"cake tin.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 2 hours.
7. Allow to cool in the tin for 12 hours.
8. To make the topping, warm the apricot jam and spread it over the cold cake.
9. Roll out the marzipan and lift it onto the cake.
10. Press the marzipan around the cake and trim off any excess.
11. In a bowl beat the egg whites until stiff.
12. Beat in the oil and icing sugar a little at a time.
13. Spread the icing over the cake.
14. Decorate with a ribbon, glacé cherries and sugar pearls.
Temperature & cooking time: